Sunday, August 5, 2012

Linky Parties

I've only ever done one Linky Party before, the ABCs of Me.  I enjoyed it a lot, learned that there's a few fellow Hanson-loving teachers out there, and I'm getting to stalk look at other people's classroom set-ups.  I've seen more than a few "Currently"s around teh interwebz, and I want to try one of those too, so here goes!

 
Really, I've been thinking about all the work I'll have to do in a short time if I get the job I'm hoping for.  The biggest one is that I need some elves who can help me inventory and level my entire classroom library, currently resting in 7 or 8 tubs of varying sizes at my grandma's house.  Technically, depending on the grade level I teach, I won't need to do all the books at one time - some are too juvenile for 3rd and up, some too advanced for Kinder and 1st.  But it's a project that is easiest done by at least two people - one to call out titles and one to type into the list.  From there, one person finds the levels and the other person marks them in the book.  Then you both go crazy with the colored tape (which you can find in all the GR level colors at Home Depot).  Meanwhile, I've been preparing in small, non-grade-level- and subject-dependent ways, like making an "All About Me" book to print and let my students read, creating my own "Student Contact sheets" that are more specific to my school as far as the ways that students go home at the end of the day.  I've entered a couple of contests on other blogs, and added all the school holidays to my Google calendar.  I feel like I'm on a diving board, and I want so badly to jump, but the pool isn't filled yet.  If anyone has any other ideas for things I could do to prepare beforehand, I would LOVE to hear them.  I just want to feel like I'm doing *something*.

5 comments :

  1. Oh gosh - I'm trying to think about things I had prepared before school started. Maybe a job chart? Signs for different subject boards, like Reading, Writing, Science, etc.? A behavioral system? Those things might be good to put together because they're broad enough for different grades. Good luck! New follower :)
    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes a behavior system! Once you get going you might also want to have a newsletter template or home/communication log of some type and you should be able to work on that before hand too. Don't fret about your large span of books. I have taught from 5th to Kinder and always use all my books in my room. They are not always out, but they are there and ready for that high 1st grader or low 5th grader depending on the situation.
    So glad I linked up to this Currently, it's fun finding new blogs to follow, and I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Found your blog through the linky and all I can say is I know EXACTLY how you feel with the job hunt. I was in your shoes last year and it's not a fun place to be--however, I'm sure everything will work out just as it's supposed to and you will land the job of your dreams :)

    ~Steph

    The Quirky Apple

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leveling books is a chore for sure. Good luck on your job hunt. Our town is still looking for 9 new teachers. You don't live in Oklahoma do you...
    Tammy

    First Grade @ Storybook Cafe
    dtklinger@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no I'm in Texas. My cousin is teaching 6th grade Reading at an OKC charter school though.

      Delete