Thursday, August 23, 2012

Therapeutic Thursday

 


I wish I was one of those people for whom "down time" still meant getting something accomplished.  You know who I'm talking about, the people who say "Doing dishes relaxes me."  Even crafters have a product to show at the end of their "me time".  Work out during your free time?  You've probably got a great body to show for it.  For me, the only thing I accomplish when I want to wind down is taking things off of store shelves and putting them in my home.  Shopping is my cardio, and my happy place.  It doesn't matter if it's clothes and shoes, dishes and wall art, or even office supplies - I like the thrill of hunting through the clearance section and finding the best deals, or finding something that is unique and will garner a lot of attention.  My go-to place is Target, but I also love discount stores like TJ Maxx and Ross.

The other place I spend most of my money feeds another habit - Barnes & Noble.  I've mentioned this before, but I am always in the middle of a book.  Sometimes I'm re-reading an old favorite (Harry Potter, stuff by Jen Lancaster or Mary Kay Andrews) and sometimes I'm in this place of waiting for one my "my" authors to come out with their newest and I have to try out new people.  That's how I ended up reading every. single. book. written by both Kristin Hannah and Elin Hilderbrand.  I didn't like all of them, but both ladies have at least one book that has joined my permanent collection.  I love the library where I live because they're great about ordering new books and getting them on the shelves really quickly.  Currently, I'm re-reading the books of the Cousins' War series by Philippa Gregory (she of The Other Boleyn Girl fame).  The fourth just came out, so I bought books 1 and 2 (already owned 3) and am starting at the beginning.

My last favorite activity?  Sleeping.  I am a world-class sleeper.  I have sleep apnea, so the sleep I get is not always top quality, but I can sleep for hours and hours if you'd let me.  I'm talking like, sleep in until 11 AND take a nap AND go back to sleep at 11.  Weekends, I am probably asleep more hours than I'm awake.

You may notice there's a big one missing that a lot of other people will say - TV.  TV is not always relaxing for me.  I get emotionally invested in the characters, and I'm not watching TV so much as I'm checking in on people's lives.  These people just happen to be Spencer Hastings or Sheldon Cooper.  The only kind of reality TV shows I like are the ones involving houses (HGTV) or where people get makeovers (What Not to Wear, How Do I Look).  I enjoy TV, I do, but if I've had a hard day and I need to unwind, the TV is not the first place I'll go.  

Are you one of those annoying (I say that because I'm jealous) people who get stuff done when you relax, or are you satisfied just converting Oxygen into Carbon Dioxide?  Let me know and link up!

 

No comments :

Post a Comment