Wednesday, February 6, 2013

February Currently

I just love Currentlys - they're like Twitter, condensing my current world into the most basic information.

Listening - I've started walking, in an attempt to one day start running.  My only goal right now is 3 days a week, minimum.  Nothing about increasing speed or endurance, just getting outside and moving.  My workout playlist has become cluttered recently, I've just been putting any old fast-paced song instead of songs that actually make me feel like moving.  Some of my favorites are "New Classic" by Drew Seeley f. Selena Gomez, "You Should Be Dancing" by the Glee Cast, and "Misery" by Maroon 5.

Loving - Valentine's Day approaches.  I've never been a huge fan of the holiday.  I mean, sure, I like pink, but romance does not abound around here.  The one time I did enjoy it was when I got to celebrate with my 3rd graders during student teaching.  The kids' excitement is contagious - decorating the mailboxes, slipping goodies in while they're not looking, and any excuse for a class party, duh!

Thinking - I have to get a job.  I no longer get to be picky, I have to have a job.  To that end I actually crashed (with permission) a seminar that this year's group of student teaching interns hosted about resumes, cover letters, and job hunting.  My intern year did not have any seminars to help with this stuff, and as the only one from my group that wants to teach but doesn't have a job, I figured this information would be invaluable.  For example, my current resume is based off of pretty standard business model.  It came from my mom, who works as an administrative assistant.  However, the model of a resume in education has some differences that shouldn't be overlooked.

Wanting - I stink at interviews.  I haven't had enough practice, I know, but I freeze up.  I can recite song lyrics and movie quotes verbatim, but ask me my own thoughts in an interview and I ramble.  We've discussed this ad nauseum, it's the reason for all my posts where I answer interview questions.  I'm just not sure that it's helping me.  My roommate suggested I put answers to the most likely questions on flashcards and study them like French verbs.  That might be my next course of action, unless of course someone wants to offer me a job with no interview necessary (HA!)

Pet Peeves - I understand if I need to say it again because the room was loud, or because you were out of the room when I gave instructions.  I understand if I didn't say it clearly and I need to rephrase it so you comprehend.  I don't understand you looking right at me, hearing my instructions, and then just sitting there, not getting to work.  Don't make me repeat myself if I don't have to.  (Side note, I covet those little things where you record the instructions for a center & the the kids can play it back over and over.  I envision those recorders being my new best friends.) 

There you have it - the nutshell and the whole dang pecan!

6 comments :

  1. I completely understand how you feel with interviews. I have been in my same school for 5 years and am looking at having to transfer and am terrified of interviewing. I don't have an updated resume or portfolio and I am so nervous about answering questions and competing for a job. Good luck!
    Gina
    Third Grade Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand interivews and wanting a job. I did not get a job my first year coming out of college. Be patient and your dream job on a silver platter will come. I HATED interviews. They are so nerve racking. Best of luck to you!

    Jeannie
    The 2nd Grade Surprise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I found you on the February Currently! I am your newest follower. Hope you have some good job prospects- it is hard out there!
    Come and check out my current Currently!
    Layla
    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree 150% with the repeating yourself pet peeve! Like you said, it is one thing if a student was out of the room when I gave instruction, or if he/she needs some re-teaching. But he/she was talking to someone else or just plain not paying attention during direction time... ooh! It makes me so mad!

    I can sympathize with you about interviewing. I, too, felt clunky. Like you, I could recite song lyrics and nonsensical facts, but put me in front of a "firing squad" {i.e. the interview team}, and I froze like a deer in headlights. One thing I did was create a portfolio -- NOT the kind we made in school -- of all the things I was proud of about my work. I included pictures and lots of kind notes and e-mails that I'd received during student teaching and whatnot. I included examples of technology {my strong skill}, which I knew would impress my interviewers. I looked up common teacher interview questions {I think I found a whole list on Pinterest!} and practice, practice, practice. I used my portfolio to SHOW my accomplishments; I found this took the focus off me and my slowly-turning-red-face, and put the attention on my portfolio and what I was most proud of. I rehearsed answers in the shower, while I drove, while I cooked.. until my answers started to sound almost canned, but at least I knew them as well as I knew those N*Sync lyrics in junior high! ;) Before the interview, I did deep, calming breaths and repeating words of affirmation to myself to remind myself that I DID deserve this job and I AM a good teacher. I can't say it will be an instant fix, but it's worth a shot, since it worked for me!

    Best of luck to you!!
    ~Mrs. K. from The Teacher Garden Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came over from Farley's! I am your newest follower! I would love for you to link up anything technology you might have at my newest feature, Thursday's Tech Tips for Teachers!
    Fern's Thursday's Tech Tips for Teachers!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the world of teaching and blogging!! I will be honest...your first five years are rough, but if you remember that they are SUPPOSED to be tough, you will get through it. Of course you have to get that job first! Good luck with your interviews and keep your options open. My first seven years of teaching were spent in a high-poverty school district. I was not able to get a job any place else. It ended up being a very rewarding experience, that put me in a classroom right out of college (no subbing). I now have 21 years of teaching under my belt and I'm only (Ha) 44! Good luck to you!!

    Kathy O.
    Third Grade Doodles

    ReplyDelete