Friday, March 15, 2013

Feedback needed

After spending a wonderful week in Kindergarten and seeing what some of my fellow teachers had to offer, I was struck by the idea of using graphs.  I remember very clearly that reading and understanding a graph is one of the first grade math assessments, because I administered that assessment to the first grade class I was student teaching in.  The TEKS is:

§111.3. Grade 1
(b)  Knowledge and skills
(8)  Data analysis. The student applies mathematical process standards to organize data to make it useful for interpreting information and solving problems. The student is expected to:
(A)  collect, sort, and organize data in up to three categories using models/representations such as tally marks or T-charts;
(B)  use data to create picture and bar-type graphs; and
(C)  draw conclusions and generate and answer questions using information from picture and bar-type graphs.

On a vertical alignment, TEKS 8 is the same for Kindergarten, but with pictographs only:

(8)  Data analysis. The student applies mathematical process standards to collect and organize data to make it useful for interpreting information. The student is expected to:
(A)  collect, sort, and organize data into two or three categories;
(B)  use data to create real-object and picture graphs; and
(C)  draw conclusions from real-object and picture graphs.

So I thought I'd create a Graph Pack with a graph for every month of the year.  Some are specifically themed for that month, some are not.  The problem is that a class in TX can be as large as 22 students.  Now in Kindergarten, the largest I've seen is about 19.  In first grade, I've seen up to 21.  If I make a graph that says "How many friends are here today" and the class tracks it over every school day for the week, that's a graph with 23 rows (22 plus day of the week) and 5 columns, making it hard to fit on a single sheet of paper with the title included.  However, it's more convenient to print off and display a single piece of paper.

To that end, I've put a free sample on TpT.  It features the "How many friends are here today graph" in both 1 page and 2 page formats, where the graph is on one page and the title is on another, with a unifying design.  Please download this product and let me know what you think.  Not EVERY graph in my graph pack needs to be on two pages (because how often are your 22 kindergarteners going to vote on the same thing?) but at least 2 of them might.

Here's the link to the product:

No comments :

Post a Comment