Monday, May 13, 2013

Teacher Crafting Volume II





First thing I did was paint.  The most economical use of your time would be to decide what color everything is going to be and paint them in groups by color.  I didn't do that - I jumped right in and started painting.  This meant that sometimes I would have to go back and do colors over again even though I'd washed the brushes, but that's okay.

For one frame, I had a theme to work off of - a frog pond.  For the other one, I just asked the teacher her favorite colors and put together a "color story" that I liked.

Some of the wooden things took paint very well, and only required one coat.  The frames themselves actually got about 3 coats, and other things got 2.

As things dried, I started hot-gluing.  I've been using a hot glue gun since I was 7, I'm kind of surprised I even have fingerprints anymore.  With hot glue, you have to go slowly and deliberately, otherwise you end up with the dreaded strings.

To get the circles in the right place, I put the velcro pairs on the corner, with one side stuck to the frame and one side sticky-side-out, and then pressed the circle down on top of it.  I wanted to make sure that the circle didn't cover up part of the word "Day"

To make the numbers "1" and "100", I simply printed on scrapbook paper and cut them out.  Then I modge-podged the whole circle to give it a uniform sheen.

In the end, I'm so glad I did this.  I think they look great!


1 comment :