Saturday, June 15, 2013

10 Pin Linkies


How cute is that?  10 Pins, like in bowling, but pins from Pinterest.  This is a fantastic idea that will help me to blog during the summer, when not a lot is going on, classroom-wise.   This week, it's classroom decor, something that has been on my mind A LOT lately.

I always figured I'd have a cupcake theme.  I mean, c'mon, look at the title of this blog.  But it's hard to do too much with cupcakes and not alienate the male portion of a class.  When everything is pink and polka-dotted, it might be hard for my boys to take ownership of the classroom and respect it, which is something I'm big on.  I did a lot of substituting at a school where each class made a class T-shirt called themselves something.  I was thinking about what my class would be, and since my last name starts with an "M", I think we'd be the "M----'s Monsters".  There is a lot of cute monster stuff out there - not scary grotesque monsters but more in the way of cute and furry, like Monster's, Inc. and Sesame Street.  It's well known that I'm a Grover fan, particularly in this video:



So I think I'll keep the cupcake, polka-dot theme in the area around my desk, but do monsters with the student stuff whenever possible.  For example, I got cute monster duct tape to mark my "Ooops" supplies (things like pencils and scissors, when kids don't have the supplies they need.)

Back on topic, in no particular order, here are my 10 favorite Classroom Decor pins:
Be Kind to Books Club
1.  A poster advertising the "Be Kind to Books Club".  If my students leave my classroom with one of my character traits, I hope it will be a love of reading.  Along with that goes respect, for the art of the written word and for the physical form of books.  This is a must for the Classroom Library.
2.   A much more personal birthday wall.  I love this idea, taking pictures with the kids.  I bought month-themed cupcake cut-outs, and you know the kids will be holding them in the picture.
http://media-cache-ec4.pinimg.com/originals/a3/00/23/a300235228e6f2673c8924c64a3723a7.jpg
3. Two ugly filing cabinets pushed together and covered with fabric.  It's so simple, but think of the extra magnetic space you have - it makes a perfect center with letter magnets, or if you have your word wall on magnets on your whiteboard, this gives you extra room!
4. I have seen so many great holiday, book, math, and other themed doors, but this one really stands out to me.  Gets kids thinking about who else they know who went to college, and how college can be a reality for all of them.
5.  Bookshelves are great all on their own.  But by painting the inside of the shelves to match whatever sort of leveling system you have with your books, you create a great way to stay organized, help kids pick out Just Right books, and add a little pop of color to ordinary black or brown furniture.
6. We've all seen the great idea of putting bookshelves at each table group to hold the group supplies - book boxes, dictionaries, supply buckets, etc.  But bookshelves can get expensive, they take up a lot of room, and if you want to rearrange things, you'd better life with your legs.  Zip-tying crates together serves the same purpose, and is a lot more manageable.
7. I have been coveting this cart since it came out.  I mean look at it - it's industrial/vintage chic, it's teal, and it has wheels.  I'm thinking guided reading books on the top shelf, guided reading books to be put back on the middle shelf, and dry erase boards and markers on the bottom.
8. A loft would be neat.  This is quite obviously the "BMW of lofts", but you get the picture.
 
9.   What has 2 thumbs and did not have an easy time learning to tell time?  This gal. I want to start early and teach often telling time on an analog clock if I get a younger grade.
10.  There *will* be a Boggle board in my classroom.  If I have kindergarten, it may just be a 3X3 board, but it will be there.  This is definitely the cutest one I've seen.


So there you have it, my classroom decor top 10.  I can't wait to see what next week's 10 Pin is going to be!


UPDATE:  Tonight at Wal-Mart, I happened to find six ADORABLE monster cups for $0.87!  Now that I've hit on this theme, it's going to be so hard not to buy everything in sight, especially with all the Monster's U stuff out right now.
 

4 comments :

  1. I love the Boggle board & totally agree I too will have a Boggle board & a Noggle board. Have you seen that one yet? Noggle
    It's the math version. I'll have that too. Your blog is super cute. I'm a new follower.

    Stephanie
    PolkaDotPalace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen Noggle before! That's awesome, thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I have been obsessed with that Ikea cart, too...and it literally took all of my self control to get out there last weekend without buying it. LOVE. Might have to run back and grab it. I mean, look at it ! :) So happy to have found your blog & Be your newest follower!

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - I love those monster cups...so cute! Plus, what a steal?!

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete