Friday, August 2, 2013

August Currently




Time for a Currently from Farley at Oh Boy 4th Grade!

Listening:  I've started a new Bible Study with all this free time I've had (no, that's not sarcasm, I really have very little to do each day).  It's supposed to make reading and reflecting a habit.  I stayed consistent for a whole week but I missed yesterday, so I'm trying to forgive myself and move on.

Loving: If you haven't heard of this book, it's about a couple who being volunteering at a homeless shelter/soup kitchen and meet a homeless man who completely changes their lives.  So touching - I cried big fat baby tears.  It gets me thinking about how I can incorporate service learning into my classroom.  These people gave money, but what really changed their lives was giving of their time and energy.

Thinking:  I watched The Ron Clark Story last night.  He's got these 55 rules for his classes that are great, but at the elementary level that is a LOT to take in and can make the kids feel like the classroom is oppressive.  I kind of like starting out with basic rules and asking the kids to think about what that means.  For example, I can tell kids to respect the teacher, but they will have to write/tell me/show me HOW that gets accomplished with everyday actions.

Wanting: Remember how I said I had a lot of free time?  Well I've started watching Jeopardy, and my mind that is full of useless trivia knows plenty of the answers on the show.  I even looked at sample questions and I'd say I got about 80-85% right.  I have always thought I'd be good on a game show, so the next time Jeopardy has an online test for adults, I'm gonna give it a shot.

Needing:  It's pretty self-explanatory.  I'm getting desperate, people.  In 10 days, the new hires for the district I want are supposed to start their training.  In 21 days, it's Meet the Teacher night.  The first day of school is 25 days away.  Now my district of choice is notorious for last-minute hires, but I'm really starting to lose faith.  None of the other districts I've applied to have even asked me for an interview.  If it doesn't pan out, I'll go back to subbing, but I don't think I've wanted anything as much as I want my own classroom and my own kids.

B2s Must-Haves:
  1. Parent communication is key.  I love love LOVE this foldable for parent information from Just Reed.  It's customizable, so you can put all the information your parents need to know (phone, email, classroom procedures, grading policy, etc...) in one place for them to keep handy. 
  2. When I say pencils, I mean lots of supplies.  I have a ton of school supplies ready to move into my classroom at a moment's notice, but they need to be marked as mine.  They will be the "oops" supplies for students who don't have what they need for the day, and they go back into the correct place (i.e. NOT the student's supply box) when they're done.  I also have a bunch that I will simply add to the student supply area - things that will run out like pencils and glue sticks.  Part of my classroom community is going to be respect for materials and supplies.  They are the tools you need to learn, so treat them kindly.
  3. Blank wall space.  I'm not saying I want my classroom to be completely devoid of decoration but I want to set aside a place for my students work where THEY choose what goes up there.  I've seen lots of ideas - bulletin boards, individual clip boards or clothespins for each student, etc.  I want to show them when they walk in that this classroom is not just mine, it's theirs, and the things they do deserve to be seen and admired.
So that's my August for you.  I'm afraid in the next 3 weeks I will have bitten off all my nails, gained a million pounds stress eating, and had some sort of nervous breakdown waiting for that phone to ring.  Wish me luck!

EDIT:  While commenting on other blogs in the linky, I stumbled across this blog which helps you link up via the state you teach in!  She's even made buttons for everyone!  Find your state, link up, and find other blogs for you!

6 comments :

  1. Good luck with your job search!! I found you through the currently linky and am now following you! :)

    Kelly
    KIndergarten Kel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's so hard to wait for a job! I've done it twice now. The Mister wants me to look for a job closer to where we live (I wouldn't mind this either), but I feel like it will take years to actually make that happen. It can be very frustrating! Just keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the job. I hope it all works out.
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your blog through Currently and I am your newest follower. Would love for you to head over and check out my blog! I am so close to 100 followers and I am having a classroom theme bundle giveaway!

    Lindsay
    If You Give a Teacher a Treat

    ReplyDelete
  5. What bible study are you doing? My SIL and I have been doing a book study of One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp this summer. It really makes you think about all of the big and small blessings in your life.

    Good luck with your job search!!! I know how frustrating it can be...I just got my own classroom after waiting for 2 years. It'll happen :)

    Kris
    www.thepoolepages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At Barnes & Noble, I found this journal that you use when reading the Bible to help you reflect upon what you read. You can use it starting anywhere, and it's meant to go for 21 days. It's based on the idea that if you do something consistently for 21 days, you'll develop it as a habit. I've not been perfectly consistent, but I got off to a great start. After the 21 days are filled, I'm looking at doing a study on what it means to be a biblical woman. This is the journal: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/home-gift-21-day-journal-a-spiritually-healthy-life/23393155?ean=9781608972340

      Delete